Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Overdraft Protection

(this was actually written a couple days ago, and posted on one of my other blogs, but I thought I would share it here as well)


I've often heard it said that just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean that they don't love you with all they have. I've even found myself saying this to my oldest son about his dad. I believe it's meant to be comforting statement. But I often wonder how much damage is done in these situations.
I have read, and believe, that each of us not only has our own love language, but also love accounts. And each person in our lives make daily deposits and withdrawals.
I know that each day I, personally, make withdrawals from my children's accounts. They are still young and don't always appreciate the word, NO…lol However, no matter how upset or disappointed they may get with me, every night they eagerly await for me to tuck them into bed with a big hug and kiss, and our special song. I know in my heart that these precious moments built our love accounts tremendously, so that when I have to make a withdrawal, there is still plenty of love left, keeping the balance in the positive.
So what happens when we spend our energy learning everyone else's love languages and making deposits here and deposits there making certain that we are never overdrawn in any of our accounts, but no one is taking the time to make deposits with us? How long can we continue making deposits to others' accounts when our own accounts are in overdraft? How do we keep ourselves from charging daily overdraft fees so that even the good deeds go unnoticed?
Here's a thought—how overdrawn am I in my account with the Lord?! Ouch!!
But, praise God, that because of His great mercy and grace, I am never overdrawn—my account is wiped clean and renewed daily!!
Forgiveness is the key, I know, but I am a humble human and still struggle.
Psalm 51:10
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Help me to look to You to fill the accounts where those closest to me are overdrawn, and help me to show your mercy and grace so that I can joyfully waive all the overdraft fees I've been charging lately. Amen

No comments: